Performance reviews are an inevitable part of being an employee. Your boss is probably eager (or not!) to let you know how you are doing on the job. But have you ever taken the time to assess your own performance? The end of the year is a great opportunity to take some time to see if you are headed in the right direction to reach your goals or if you have gotten off track along the way.
These steps will help you to take an honest look at how you're doing and figure out where you can improve.
- Take stock. Reflect on where you are professionally. Are you where you expected to be at the beginning of the year? Think about where you would like to be this time next year. Work backward to establish mini-goals and benchmarks to keep you on track.
- Do your goals make sense? Be sure that your goals reflect what you want to accomplish and not what you think you should do or what someone else wants for you.
- Reality check. Are your actions and goals compatible? Are your daily activities bringing you closer to achieving your goals? If you dream of a career change that requires additional training, your goals for the coming year should focus on the steps you need to follow to get that training.
- Plan for change. What changes do you need to make to increase your chance of reaching your goals? If you need to attend classes, how will you fit them into your schedule? You'll need to put systems in place to smooth your path – whether than means lining up childcare or rearranging your work schedule.
- Schedule a reassessment. Set an appointment (or several) with yourself to make sure you are on the right track. Try not to wait a whole year. It's easier to make adjustments throughout the year than to start all over.
If your self-review leaves you wondering if you are in the right career or field, it may be time to try on a new role or two. Sparks Group is here to help you find the perfect fit job, even if it takes a few tries. If you are ready to take the next step in your career, contact Sparks Group today!